Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!  It's 2011.  Time for New Year's Resolutions.

If you're like me, then you might set a goal at the beginning of the year and then before too long, that goal seems like a distant memory.  Diets are blown.  Exercise programs get dusty.  What was once an ambitious, yet achievable goal now seems like an impossible dream suited only for superhumans.

I'm certainly not superhuman, but I did achieve one goal:  I can now solve the Rubik's Cube blindfolded.  I don't say this to brag.  I say this because it can be done...it is possible.

I don't worry about how fast I can do it or how elegant I look doing it...in fact, I look pretty ridiculous wearing a blindfold holding a Rubik's Cube.  It wasn't easy to figure out and it took a lot of practice.  But now I can do it routinely.  The point is, I set a goal and didn't get distracted by all of the other details that only serve as fertilizer for excuses.  Always keep the end goal in mind.

I struggle with this as a writer.  Just write.  Write the story.  Get the draft done.  Get to the end goal.  Don't worry if it's perfect or not...it won't be.  I need to blindfold and gag my inner critic for a while and get writing.  Things will be missing and need to be fixed, but that's part of the process.  These are all distractions that sometimes paralyze me and keep me from my end goal...the story.  So, I resolve to write more freely in 2011.

What is your Resolution this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment